Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Whats the Point of Vacation Without Junk Food?

I recently got back on vacation- and though this was cute:


When I think vacation I think:

BIG juicy hamburgers

Large endless milkshakes (or mojitos after the kids are asleep)

Snickers bars at truck stops

Ice cream cones at the random shopping malls

Here's what I don't want to think about:

Apples?!?!?

Salads?!?!?

Grilled Chicken Breast?!?!?

Boring!!!!!!!!!

I want to read a book- not figure out how to fit in a workout.

But, my thinking on this is a little off.

With a little planning, and a little bit of extra treats- vacation can be enjoyable AND not add back all the calories you worked so hard to keep off the week before.

Restaurants:
Decide ahead of time what "food groups" you're going to eat- and then plan on having ONE dessert if you can stay away from everyone else's fries during the main course (i.e., I will eat one lean protein- a lot of vegetables, a small carb, and some healthy fat)

Snacks:
Pre-make some granola bars, buy fruit where you go, and those chummos dips with pretzels and some extra baby carrots can go a long way. Don't forget to snack, because if you go into meal time starving that will spell disaster.

Meal Planning:
Take a deep breathe- every meal while you're away doesn't have to be gourmet and calorie filled in order for you to feel like you had a nice time. If good food is the ONLY way for you to feel that you've enjoyed yourself- you've got some work to do. If not- try to RADICALLY ACCEPT that you're not eating like a piggie anymore and concentrate on the other things you love about vacation. Multigrain cheerios with cut up fruit works where ever you are - even in a hotel room.

Exercise:
Hotels often have awesome workout rooms, with much better equipment than I have at home. At the front desk they often have walking and running routes you can take in the area. Get up early and take a brisk walk. There is no better way to feel that you've explored a new place than on foot. You'll be surprised how many different things you learn how to experience about new locations when you do it on foot or bicycle.

Treats:
If vacation means ice cream- plan in that ice cream, it's important! But maybe also plan in a long bike ride or swim before or after. Plan in a salad for lunch the meal before the ice cream. And stop at one scoop when they ask you if you want more. Then close your eyes, and enjoy that ice cream. Don't let yourself be distracted and wolfing it down to the point where five seconds later you can't even recall what it tasted like. When you're having a treat, let yourself enjoy that treat.

Now that I'm home from vacation, I'm very happy to have my kitchen back.

And I still had fun, even if I didn't down the pringles and oreos like I would have done a couple of years ago. I needed to separate the notion of good food equals a fun vacation. I am slowly but surely doing that overtime, and radically accepting the disappointment here and there. But I come back knowing that I am the healthier and more in control person I want to be. Which I want more than any Snicker bar- well- more most of the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment