Thursday, October 31, 2013

It's Not Fair......


When it comes to food, weight, and body type- how many of you have thought the following:

-Look at what she's eating, and yet she still looks so skinny, she doesn't ever have to work at it- IT'S NOT FAIR
-Everyone else can stop after one cookie at a party and I can't- IT'S NOT FAIR
-Other people can find the time to exercise, but it just doesn't fit into my schedule- IT't NOT FAIR
-Here I am out for dinner with my big extended family and everyone is enjoying themselves and eating whatever they want while I'm depriving myself so I can fit into a dress next month- IT'S NOT FAIR
-She just had a baby three weeks ago and she already fits back into her clothing- while I had my "baby" 3 years ago and am still three sizes bigger- IT'S NOT FAIR

While all of these might be "fair" statements to make- they don't help you in the slightest. And actually- they do the opposite- they make it harder for you to achieve what you want in your health life.

Everyone is born with different abilities, predispositions, physical limitations, intelligences, and they're all highly personal.

Unfortunately for us we live in a society that worships thin bodies- So even though we all have different strengths- we are obsessed with people who we perceive that healthy eating, an athletic body, and low weight come "naturally" to them.

Next time you catch yourself playing the "fairness" game- ask yourself this:
-If you compare yourself to all of the people who you perceive look "better" than you- do you also compare yourself to all the people who don't look as good as you? Ofcourse not- or at least most people don't- so why is it fair that you're always comparing yourself unfairly?
-You're making an assumption about someone- how do you know what their health life looks like?
-Your health goals, your ability to eat healthy, and exercise often- is all about you, and has nothing to do with other people. 
-We all have our strengths and weaknesses- food or exercise might be your weakness- choose to "accept" that- don't spend so much energy fighting it anymore- and turn all of that jealousy, anger, bitterness, longing- into the motivation that helps you meet your goals.

Prepare yourself - life isn't created on a perfect scale and very few things in life appear to be even, especially when compared. You need to create a cognitive response for yourself- that when you start thinking any of the thoughts above you then immediate replace it with this:

"Life isn't about fairness, its above succeeding and overcoming my own personal challenges. I want to be healthy for me, and only me. Eating healthy and exercise is more than just about weight- it's about life and the way I am choosing to live it. If I have to try harder than some people, so be it, I accept that. I am going to stop wasting my time and energy worrying about it- and instead am going to go kick butt at my next workout"

My next group is starting a week from Sunday- If you're interested please let me know- otherwise- stop worrying about "fair" and what the other girl looks like- and go enjoy a healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment