Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Famous Last Words: I'm Going to be So Healthy This Time!

There's two types of thinking errors that can get in the way of healthy eating (or two of many really):


1.Black or white thinking
2.Overly general thinking

Black and white thinking is the assumption that you're all one, or all the other, all good, or all bad. That you're either healthy or your'e not. That you're either doing really well with keeping to your eating plan, or that you're completely off and to heck with it I might as well have five more cookies once I'm going down.

Overly general thinking is statements like: "I'm going to eat so healthy this holiday" or "I'm going to try to be good when it comes to desserts for all of these upcoming big meals".

Neither are helpful to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Black and white thinking leads to avalcnhes or binge eating or weeks of time without exercise. The assumption that once you're off, then you're off, is detrimental. A better way to think about setbacks is this:

"Oh no, I had two huge pieces of chocolate cake last night- it just looked so good I couldn't resist- ok everyone makes mistakes- I just won't have any other desserts today and will go for an extra long walk"

"I was so good about exercising this month, and then last week I just had so many deadlines and meals to cook, I didn't get to exercise at all- thats ok, busy weeks will happen- how many times can I commit to exercising next week."

Overly general thinking doesn't give us enough a plan and is a recipe for failure. Don't say "I'm going to be so good, or be so healthy"- try something like this:

"My plan is to have on appetizer, one main, vegetables, and fruit"

"My plan is to have twp big pieces of roast because it's my favorite food and I haven't had it in a while- then mostly vegtables- and one dessert"

"My plan is to have 4 types of food- regardless of what they are- and limit it to that"

And again- if you don't keep to the plan than forgive yourself, figure out why it happened, and make a different plan for the next time.

I hope you all enjoy healthy and happy meals this upcoming holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment